Become a LEAD-credentialed instructor and certify camp counselors and staff in 4-hour Camp Mental Health, in your camp or outdoor recreation community.
LEAD’s Camp Mental Health Certification (CampMHC) introduces camp counselors and staff to the risk factors, warning signs, and prevalence of mental illness in adolescent campers. CampMHC is the nation’s first early intervention certification tailored to summer camp and outdoor recreation settings.
Through interactive discussion, role-play activities, and an ABC action plan, LEAD empowers camp professionals to respond to signs and symptoms of mental illness in non-crisis situations and to connect campers to appropriate professional support in crisis situations.
After being certified in Camp MHC, participants are empowered to:
- Recognize the difference and relationship between mental health and mental illness at camp.
- Promote camper mental health and model proactive self-care strategies for campers.
- Apply a three-step action plan to both crisis and non-crisis mental health situations.
- Connect campers and camp professionals to camp-based, self-help, and professional resources.
Participants do not learn to diagnose or provide therapy or counseling.
- LEAD-credentialed instructors can extend the length of CampMHC to five or six hours to provide extra time to practice applying the ABC Action Plan to crisis and non-crisis situations and to emotionally debrief with participants.
- If 75% of staff are present at the Camp Mental Health certification (CampMHC), both the participants and the camp receive certification. Moreover, the camp receives a framed certificate to display in their office, as well as a digital CampMHC Badge to display on their website and marketing materials. If less than 75% of staff are present, each participant receives individual certification.
LEAD’s Camp Academy provides instructors-in-training with free and unlimited access to LEAD’s three Allyship e-certifications to ensure CampMHC is taught in a culturally-competent, trauma-informed, and inclusive way (30+ Hours of FREE PD).
LEAD’s Allyship E-Certifications include:
- Tip of the Iceberg: BIPOC Mental Health, Cultural Humility, Anti-Racism, & Allyship
- Love is Love: LGBTQIA2S+ Mental Health, Inclusion & Allyship
- Triggered: Trauma-Aware, Sensitive, Responsive & Informed Care
After completing the Camp Academy, at least one Allyship E-Certification per year, and one virtual MHC Instructor Practice Session, instructors-in-training receive their CampMHC teaching materials, a comprehensive Instructor Manual, a framed certificate, and free continuing education from LEAD HQ.
Learn more about the LEAD Academy and our instructor credentialing process.
Kyrah J. Altman's story of social entrepreneurship began at nine years old. As a result of growing up in a broken home, she began experiencing severe post-traumatic stress disorder and depression in middle school. While mental illness followed her throughout adolescence, she channeled her struggle into the founding of a social enterprise called Let's Empower, Advocate, and Do (LEAD), Inc.
In 2016, Kyrah won $32,500 of seed funding in the George Washington University New Venture Competition as the only competing college female and freshman student. Since 2012, Kyrah has been featured in the New York Times, on three national television stations, and was named the nation's 3rd best student entrepreneur by the EO Global Student Entrepreneurs Award.
Today, Kyrah is the CEO and co-founder of LEAD, Inc. Since its founding, LEAD has transformed into the industry leader in mental health education in the United States. Altman resides in her home state of Massachusetts to be near her younger siblings. She travels the world, speaking about the impact of social entrepreneurship on trauma survivors, the importance of proactive mental health education in schools, and the idea that "while not everyone has a mental illness, everyone can improve their mental health."
Why wait? #LEADnow!
Investing in your camp counselors' mental health, well-being, and coping skills is the most critical and rewarding investment your camp will make in its lifetime.
Want even more? Visit LEAD’s Camp Resource Page for exclusive, FREE access to previously-recorded live mental health & DEI-related webinars, guides, blogs, and tools for summer camp professionals.
Courses Included with Purchase
Original Price: $2,074
Frequently Asked Questions
DISCLAIMER: By registering for this course, you understand and agree that LEAD, Inc.’s courses are supplementary only and in no way replace present workplace training processes. LEAD, Inc. assumes no responsibility or liability whatsoever for fully and completely teaching you, which obligation rests solely with you or your employer. You will indemnify LEAD, Inc. from any action, suit, or proceeding based upon any allegation that you have not been properly or adequately trained.